Sunday, June 23, 2013

Exodus 6:1 - 7:13 Notes: Israel's Deliverance Assured


Section 10: Exodus 6:1 – 7:13 – Israel’s Deliverance Assured 

Theme or topic of this section
Let Everyone Know That I Am the Lord
God is Building a Relationship with the People
Yinz Have to Know That I Am the Lord
Just Wait and Watch

Some interesting points
Pharaoh is a sore loser! 
Aaron’s snake was hungry!
“uncircumcised lips” – a curious expression.

Verse 6:7, first half  (“I will take you as my people, and I will be your God.”)
We see this as comforting because we know how the story ends.
The Israelites might says,  “Wait a minute – I want to read the fine print.”
Did the Israelites even know what this meant?  Did they remember the covenant?
Right now, it’s no wonder the Israelites don’t listen to Moses – in Chapter 5 things got worse.
It’s a transition, and transitions are painful.  In Egypt, things are certain for the Israelites, but Moses’ proposal is full of uncertainty.

Verse 6:7, second half (God is “the Lord your God”)
Maybe by repetition it will begin to sink in.
Did the Israelites have a sense of their own oral history?
The genealogy is there to make the link from their oral history to the events of Moses’ time.
OR the genealogy is there as a way to get Reuben, Simeon, and Levi back into good graces (compare to Genesis chapter 49).

Things our parents said to threaten discipline:
Don’t make me come up there!
Do I have to stop the car?
You don’t want me to come back there.
            - the Book of Mothers and Fathers

More about God hardening Pharaoh’s heart
- What about the Egyptian people’s free will?!  They paid the price of Pharaoh’s hard heart!
God does the hardening in this sense:  God knows that by what He does (the plagues), Pharaoh’s heart will be hardened.
Pharaoh was groomed to be the ultimate power, and he just can’t imagine a god like God.

What we learned about the nature of God from this passage
God uses sinners.
God knows more about me that I know about me.
God wins in the end.
He can take sinners and restore them (Reuben, Simeon, Levi).
God is powerful.
God will meet us where we are.

No comments: